Dave Grumble

20060724

From Body Slams to Boddhisatwas


Well That was a strange weekend!

Friday evening I went to the local community hall to meet my brother Gerry.
He had asked myself and a mate to come down and film the wrestling show he had help to organise.

Nothing could have prepared me for the sight that greeted me on entering the hall.
It was like the worst australian soap opera combined with an american fitness video.

These guys bedecked in the most garish spandex fashion atrocities known to man
were yelling and shouting and throwing each other, quite deftly I might add, around the ring.
The air of pantomine was infectious I kept waiting for the "Oh no he didnt" and even though reality had been left at the front door there were certain manouvers where I caught myself going "oooooooh that had to hurt".

The performance was only slightly marred when one wrestler walked passed the heavy Iron tripods to pick up a soft, although large stuffed toy and proceed to beat his opponent into submission.

Much tribute must therefore be paid to my bruv and the boys in Irish whip wrestling for what was a most bizzarre but strangely enjoyable way to spend a friday




In total counter part to my friday evening. My Sunday afternoon was spent in the presence of a Boddhisatwas or Holy person to the layman she was an amazing woman to watch and my daughter who is quite good at reading people spent most of the day sitting on her knee as if they were old pals (if I could get her to sit on my knee for 1 tenth of that time I would be stunned).

Now heres the weird part. She offered to bless my wifes belly (her belly is currently inhabited by a baby) but the cost would be €50.00 (holy moly!) the problem was I only had €40.00 on me. I went out side for a smoke thinking about how dissapointed my wife would be if she couldnt go ahead with the blessing and low and behold there was a fresh€10.00 note staring me in the face. So I said fair enough I get the point.

The blessing took a half hour and my wife looked like she had spent a week in a luxury spa.
I dont know if it was psychosomatic or something else but anything that puts the pregnant lady in that good a mood gets my vote either way!

So there ye go from one extreme to the other. Next weekend I am going to atempt to watch gerry springer while ascending to a higher state of consciousness ...Ohmmmmmmmmm.

11 Comments:

  • I dunno, i'd say a blessing that you have to pay fifty smackaroons for can't really be the same deal a blessing someone gives for free

    By Blogger RoryOK, at 10:15 a.m.  

  • Made me think... isn't it an important part of Reiki healing that there be an exchange of some kind... whether money or service? i.e. That a reiki healer isnt supposed to do it for nothing, that the exchange is part of the process? Or did i just get the wrong end of the stick? C'mon Dave, you're supposed to know about this stuff

    By Blogger Sinisilma, at 10:28 a.m.  

  • Weeeeeeellllllllllll You are right part of our instruction was on the fact that you had to charge. But I dont know if it had any spiritual conotations.

    My own feeling is that yes there should be an exchange but it should not be set at any particular value it should be determined on a client to client basis wether that be €50.00 or a chicken I think it boils down to the reality of having to pay your bills.

    On the other side it seems to be an unfortunate attitude in western culture that the more you pay for something the more you value it

    as someone who dosent depend on Reiki for a living I would be quite happy to accept alternative payment (bring on the chicken!)

    By Blogger Dave, at 10:38 a.m.  

  • Remember when we were starting off doing shows I wanted free admission whenever possible, and I needed you to explain to me how people would appreciate the show more if they'd at least paid a few quid. You were spot on, much as it annoyed me at the time.

    By Blogger Sinisilma, at 10:42 a.m.  

  • Psychological impact of service rendered is less if the recipient does not value it. Modern society puts value on money so monies are the exchange.

    There has always been a barter / exchange related to spiritual healing, blessings etc in most cultures. There is a psychosomatic / placebo effect to all treatment (including "conventional" medicine) whereby simply being treated is beneficial as long as there is a beleif in the treatment.
    Doesn't make the treatment any less real - simply "value added".

    :-)

    Another blog that makes me think - hmm this is bad!

    By Anonymous Salubri, at 10:48 a.m.  

  • I agree with the point that your making however what do you mean by

    "Another blog that makes me think - hmm this is bad!"

    By Blogger Dave, at 12:00 p.m.  

  • I need more intellectual stimulation. Reading your blog is now providing this. Reading your blog therefore joins the long list of things that take away from my work time and my lunch breaks *grin* Which is bad...

    By Anonymous Salubri, at 6:37 p.m.  

  • So, we conclude: there is a psychosomatic effect given by treatments. It is increased by the spending of money. Therefore, the spending of money in itself carries some amount of pyschosomatic effect.

    Fuck it. Lets cut out the treatment, just take the money, they feel a little better and we get rich. Logical, right?

    By Blogger Sinisilma, at 9:38 p.m.  

  • I love it from spiritual healing to get rich quick in 8 comments

    By Blogger Dave, at 1:49 p.m.  

  • Why do I hesitate in joining in this conversation? What is it about a word like "psychosomatic" that makes me wanna go running into the woods screaming? Would it be that I don't know what the word means?

    By Blogger John The Bad, at 7:01 p.m.  

  • So what Sinisilma is suggesting here is actual "Retail Therapy" as a marketting idea...?

    "Retail Therapy Direct - Feeling blue? You KNOW retail therapy works... Why not just come give us as much as you like in one lump sum and cut out the middleman...

    Retail Therapy Direct - We take your money to heal you!"

    By Anonymous Salubri, at 4:07 p.m.  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home