Dave Grumble

20060726

Defining spirituality

I was driving into work this morning while listening to some talk radio. They were embroiled in a discussion about spirituality and what it is , means, etc. This was the third time that topic came up for me in the last week so I reckoned a post was in order.

So what is the definition of this word that seems to get people so excited.

well the dictonary says that it is "the quality or state of being spirtual"
now that was helpful.

Here are my thoughts on the matter for what they are worth.

Spirituality is unique to each individual. Each persons physical mental needs are different and so to are their spiritual needs. Practising your own form of spirituality helps to keep you centred.

What do I mean by centred?
For me its like having the world put into perspective you find that all the things that were vital to your happiness like respect from your peers, money, companionship basically everything popular culture tells us we need, lose their significance and become background noise.

I have found that through spiritual practice my happiness isnt dependant on my environment or situation. It has helped me accept who I am and who I want to be. It has also helped me deal with difficulties in my life by keeping them in perspective.

So what is spiritual practice
My spiritual practises include:
praying - Helps me to define whats bothering me
meditation - Helps me to forget that I am bothered by something
Reki - Helps me stay relaxed and energised

Now if i said practised all these things every day I'd be a filthy liar but I do them when I feel bogged down in the daily grind or when something about myself is bothering me.

There is now a multi billion dollar industry built around self help and spirituality
from alchemists to control boxes from atlantis. Its there because people are searching for purpose, validation and a whole dose of other words. Nothing anybody else can tell you will answer your own questions entirely the best you can hope for is a bit of guidance.

For me its something that keeps my feet on the ground and my head out of my ass
for you who knows, the only hard and fast rules I found is that it cant be harmfull to yourself or others around you

anyway now that I have further muddied the spiritual waters I better go and do some work

9 Comments:

  • Good muddying my friend. The thing that struck me as most relevant to your original point of actualy defining spirituality was something you said casually - the needs of the body, the mind, and spiritual needs. This implies you understand humans as threefold beings. Spirituality, then, is the way of caring for/satisfying the needs of/simply being aware of the spirit. It's defined in relation to the spirit. So to define it, addres the idea of spirit first.

    That's if we're on the same wavelength?

    By Blogger Sinisilma, at 12:41 p.m.  

  • We are on the same wavelength
    and that is quite an astute observation

    But trying to define the spirit would be like trying to define
    love. its different for every body
    or at least thats what I reckon.

    Perhaps when i'm older and wiser (hah!) I'll try to define it

    By Blogger Dave, at 1:46 p.m.  

  • Well... you are getting older.

    By Blogger Sinisilma, at 2:07 p.m.  

  • Is it possible for something to be undefinable? (Spell-check required)

    By Blogger John The Bad, at 6:52 p.m.  

  • Here's a question - oh john, you're going to call me a tosser. On an earlier post of mine I said "discuss theatre through the actions of theatre, discuss love through the actions of love" meaning that such things can only be defined in languages other than the spoken word.

    So:

    Define define.

    heheh. sorry I'm a bit drunk.

    By Blogger Sinisilma, at 1:40 a.m.  

  • You are drunk. Everything can be defined, just not always with words.

    By Blogger John The Bad, at 11:14 a.m.  

  • Define
    To put words to...
    (In my words not the dictionary's)

    Of course something can define something else as in "his paintings define him as an artist" or "his words define him as a scholar" in which case we can define words or they us...

    "Give an idea of the qualities of" would be my personal best guess definition of the kind of amourphous "define" drunk Sinisilma is talking about...

    (Finishes Babbling)

    I'll have something to say about this post itself when I finish my thought process that started two days ago when I first read it... Aaaagh!

    By Anonymous Salubri, at 5:40 p.m.  

  • Huh?

    By Blogger Dave, at 5:42 p.m.  

  • I... wha?

    By Blogger John The Bad, at 10:55 a.m.  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home